AKA Jerry R. Thomas Distinguished Leadership Award
The American Kinesiology Association recognizes outstanding administrative and leadership performance of an individual in an administrative unit at an AKA member institution that helps contribute to the attainment of the unit’s strategic goals.
An award will be given for each level of institutional membership:
• Doctoral degree granting departments;
• Master's degree granting departments;
• Undergraduate degree granting departments; and
• Associate degree granting departments.
Awards at any level are given only when an eligible nominee clearly meets the stated criteria and no more than one award is presented for each level per year.
Individuals who have served at least 3 years as a chair or director of an AKA-member department and currently hold an administrative appointment as a chair/director, associate/assistant dean, dean, or an administrative appointment at a level above the dean are eligible for this award. Regardless of administrative appointment, the nominee must be from an institution with a current AKA-member department.
The selection committee will consider many characteristics to determine the winners including the following criteria. As a department chair/director, the individual made significant contributions in at least two or more of the following areas:
• Built innovative curricula to strengthen the undergraduate core of kinesiology
• Expanded faculty and student research productivity focused on physical activity
• Established partnerships and outreach activities that significantly impact the unit
• Achieved success in obtaining new or renovated facilities for teaching and research
• Inspired others to achieve at a high level
• Made significant changes that enhanced the effectiveness and efficiencies of programs and services
Deadline for Receipt of Nomination Materials will be April 30 each year.
Nomination Cover Sheet